Thursday, April 2, 2009

March Update

This is Alec's dad.  I figured I'd take a minute to update everyone who is following, or about to learn about, his bikeride through this blog.

Alec decided that he (1) wanted a new bike and (2) wanted to go on a big bikeride.  I suggested doing something on the C&O Canal and that he do it for a cause and the letter that most of you have seen was written entirely by him in response.  We forwarded the letter to Mark McElrath at the Cancer Society through a very good friend where I work, Cliff White.  Cliff was our first donor!!  Mark quickly embraced the cause and the rest is history.  Just a note that this trip is one that Alec made up...this is not part of a larger group.  While we are looking for recruits for legs of the trip, for the most part so far it will just be me and Alec on the trail.

As many of you know, I lost my mom to lung cancer 9 years ago and in 2006 Kristen lost her father to melanoma.  And most recently, my sister Christy was diagnosed with colon cancer and is going through chemotherapy, but in fantastic spirits.  I have also lost three other grandparents to cancer and my dad is a prostate cancer survivor.  We have all been touched either directly or through friends by this disease and I could not be more proud of Alec for wanting to do something about it.

We ended up buying Alec a new bike in early March and on his FIRST DAY, he logged 26 miles.  I was amazed, impressed, wowed, speechless, but also very tired!  Then on the next day we put in 16.  Since then, he has been eager to get out and ride, in good weather and bad.  On one Sunday ride, it was sleeting, but he didn't complain and we still managed to put in 10 miles.  I have been awed by his commitment and enthusiasm for this challenge.  Not to mention that on his 24" bike, he has to pedal 3 times for every 2 times I pedal.  Pretty good for an almost 11-year-old.  The trip is almost exactly 200 miles.  We plan on departing in the early morning from Frostburg on Friday, May 22nd and breaking the trip into four segments of 60 miles, 40 miles, 40 miles and finishing up in Georgetown after the final 60 miles.

Everything about this experience so far has been amazing.  And we look forward to keeping you in the loop as we continue to train and during the trip.  Thanks so much for your support.  Pray for good weather.  200 miles with only your dad is going to be tough enough without having to do it in a downpour!

All the best!
Andy (Alec's dad)

No comments:

Post a Comment